The Beautiful Game

Once brilliant insight and opinion on major talking points in top-level English football, sadly no more. But you can watch all the football you want on Sky Sports

May 20, 2007

GOODBYE & GOOD LUCK

Hi all,

As you’ll hear on this week’s show (TBG 2:35) I’ve decided to stop doing the podcast. This hasn’t been an easy decision to make, although the rationale behind it is actually rather simple – the show’s recorded during the day on Monday, and this is a day that I now have to work on.

When we started doing the show back in January 2006 all our schedules were the same. All four of us work at the weekend, with Monday being the day we all had free. Even if I worked on a Monday, my shift pattern still allowed me to record the show. But since I changed jobs in March I find myself working almost every Monday (my next one off is in mid-July, while the other three lads’ schedules are the same).

It’s almost 18 months since I came up with the idea of doing a football podcast. I’d scoured iTunes and the rest of the web for a decent show, but to no avail. I felt there must be at least a few people around the world feeling likewise so decided to ask Chris, Noel and Alex R (who joined the show a little later as he was out of the country when we began) if they fancied putting something together.

I think that what had transpired since then has been a success and hope you feel likewise. The amount of work Chris, Noel and Alex R have put it to the show is absolutely phenomenal, and I’d like to thank them all for producing a podcast of the highest quality. If our real jobs didn’t get in the way I think TBG could have been even better, but I’m extremely happy with how things have turned out.

I wanted us to do a show that was a little bit different – with no ranting and swearing. I wanted it to be offbeat and irreverent, while still being informative and, occasionally, even entertaining. It’s always been a hard balance to maintain, but I think the lads have done a magnificent job in getting it just right. Chris, Noel and Alex R all stamped their unique characters on the show. Their research, writing, production and presentation skills are all very different, but always of the highest quality.

I’d also like to thank my wife Angela – who can be heard at the start of each episode reminding you what you’re listening to – for all her patience. It took some serious hours to get the show up and running, and she was always very understanding and supportive.

Finally, I’d like to thank all our listeners for the tremendous support you’ve given us. We’ve never made a penny from the show (indeed, we’ve lost a fair bit!), and it’s purely the kind words and knowledgeable comments from fans all over the world that have kept us going.

It’s been a brilliant experience being part of TBG and thank you so much for making it so enjoyable. Your support has helped our show (independently produced and never advertised) compete with the podcasts put together by national newspapers and global media organisations.

So wherever you are, and whoever you support, please keep enjoying The Beautiful Game

Alex K

4 Comments:

At 8:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck to you Alex, in whatever it is that you do. Thanks for everything youve done to get people interested in football.
Good Luck!

 
At 4:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck and I want to thank you for being the inspiration behind the show. The show is very professional, but above all it is down to earth and just about 4 guys talking about the game they love; which is what the real football fans want!

 
At 9:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck! you will be sorely missed

 
At 5:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should there be a Salary Cap in Football?
Personally I think there should be! It’s just getting to be stupid money in football at the top of the premiership!
It’s always the same teams at the top proving that football success is based purely on money which ruins the idea of it being a sport! They’ve done it in rugby, basketball, hockey and American football and it makes the sports more competitive and better to watch!
I do a little Spread Betting or more precisely Football Spread Betting from time to time and most matches don’t hold much surprise who is going to win, its boring! I want to see a team at the bottom pulling off an amazing season beating last seasons winners in a close fought battle!
Make things fair! It shouldn’t be about money!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home